Evian Haute-Savoie Frech Alps
History of Evian in Haute-Savoie
The History of Water in Evian
It is starting in 1789 that the Evian reputation was born. Indeed, the Marquis de Lessert would regularly quench his thirst with water from the Fountain Sainte Catherine on the property of Mr. Cachat. Suffering from kidney and liver pains, the Marquis would have seen a marked improvement. The reputation of the benefits of drinking the water spread quickly and the water was prescribed by doctors in the area. Thus Mr. Cachat decided to close the source and sell the water. The source thus became the Cachat source.
” Graziella” Mineral Source
In operation between 1907 and 1927, originally owned by the company “Vittel” that wanted to compete with Evian on their own turf. The location of the ground floor of the hotel Swans served as the bottling plant. The source has been owned by the hotel since that date.
The Palais Lumière
The Palais Lumière was originally a spa. Built in 1902 by architect Ernest Brunnarius, it is one of the finest examples of the architecture of the spa towns of the early twentieth century. Located on the lake front, close to the town hall, a former villa of the Lumière brothers, it enjoys a privileged central location.
Today, cultural and congress centre, it consists of an exhibition area including 600 m² of exhibition rooms on two levels, a high-tech conference centre of 2200 m², for hosting national and international conferences and a multimedia library 800 m² over three levels.